Svyato-Voznesensky Cathedralг. Мончегорск, ул. Красноармейская, 15
Murmansk and Monchegorsk Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. Construction of the temple began in spring 1992 on the initiative of V.M. Khudyakov, director of the plant “Severonikel”.
Architect: Gorelik M.T.
Height: 47 meters.
The temple stands on a hill and fits well into the surrounding landscape. Svyato-Voznesensky Cathedral is the main temple of the Ascension, a small St. Basil’s Cathedral and the bell tower with twelve bells. On the outside, the south wall of the main temple – mosaic icon of the Mother of God “The Sign” on the north wall – “Holy Face” on the altar wall – Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God.
The temple is a wide stone staircase. The cathedral is surrounded by a great enclosure, it gives the church a noble and a finished look. Metal grating in strict classical style and white concrete structures in harmony with the monumental Cathedral.
The first worship in the temple took place in February 1997, and on 7 July the cathedral was consecrated by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II. His Holiness the Patriarch blessed the land and Monchegorsk citizens for a long, happy life and gave the cathedral the relics of martyrs Tarah, Prov and Terence, the icon of the Mother of God “The Sign”. In autumn 2007, the church transferred the relics of St. Fedore Ushakov, the famous Russian naval commander. The holy relics delivered to the participants of “Slavonic progress” of Sanaksar monastery.
In 2001, at the initiative of the Armenian Association of the European North in front of the cathedral is set khachkar (cross-stone) in honor of the 1700-years Christianity in Armenia as a state religion. Khachkar is a flat rectangular stone with a cross, as a symbol of the Tree of Life.
Worship in the temple accompanied by the church choir. In 1996, children’s Sunday school was opened in 2002 at the temple opened Sunday school for adults.
Address: Monchegorsk Street. Krasnoarmeyskaya, 15